Propose During the Holidays - How to Pop the Question At Christmas
Romantic Proposal Ideas
Dear April Masini,
I'm planning on asking my girlfriend to marry me, but I'm so nervous about the proposal! I want it to be perfect, but I'm really worried I won't do the right thing, say the right thing, or buy the right ring. I know she'll love me not matter what, but I just really want the proposal to be memorable and perfect for her. I was thinking about popping the question on New Year's Eve; is this a bad idea? I don't even have any idea how much a marriage proposal should cost! Also, do you have any advice on what I should do when asking her to marry me and how to pick the perfect diamond?"
April Masini's Advice :
Dear Will You...Help!,
Women want to be swept off their feet. They want to feel that they are valued and desired. They want to feel that a man is opening his heart in a way he never has before.
Is New Year's Eve a good day for a proposal?
Sure. It's a great time for a proposal. It's the beginning of all things new and bright. It's also a time of hope and resolution to do better than ever. Proposing on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day are wonderful ways to start the New Year. Plus -- if she says yes, you'll always remember your proposal date! Now, if you can just make your wedding date on a national holiday, you'll never forget an anniversary!
What should you never do when proposing?
- Back-peddle -- say, things like, "I know you'll probably say no, but...." or "I'm probably not the first one to ask you, and you're probably going to dash my hopes, but..."
- Take her for granted. Or even appear to take her for granted.
- Show up without a ring or some other extremely important piece of jewelry if it's not a ring.
- Say you're not ready to pick a wedding date. A proposal without a date is no good. You don't have to pick a date within the same hour you propose, but you should be prepared to pick a wedding date within the first week of the accepted proposal.
- Make a proposal contingent on something else -- like, if you can just adjust your custody schedule with your kids, I'd like to marry you. Or else, if we can agree not to see your parents, then I'd like to marry you.
How much can a marriage proposal cost?
A proposal should cost at minimum, as much as the ring, and at most, as much as the vacation you take her on to propose. It really doesn't matter as long as you have the ring and the words.
How does he choose the right ring?
After having seen Blood Diamond, the movie starring Leonardo Di Caprio, a diamond is no longer a great idea for an engagement ring. Either choose a beautiful piece of family heirloom jewelry that your granny or great granny has passed down or purchase a beautiful ring that is not a diamond or does not have a gem that was mined at the expense of other lives. Believe me -- if you get it big enough, beautiful enough, and with enough fanfare, the stone is not a problem.
If you want advice, ask her sister, her best friend or her mother. Whomever she's close with who knows her taste.
Learn more about Engagement Ring Sets.