Tips To Transform Your Bedroom Into a Romantic Paradise
Bedroom (Decor) Seduction Tips
Dear April Masini,
My bedroom has been a huge mess lately and I'm afraid it's really killing my romantic relationships. I'm embarrassed to let a guy see my room, much less have him stay overnight in my bed. It always seems like they can't get out fast enough in the morning! I need to make some changes but I don't even know where to start (besides getting rid of the piles of magazines and bills everywhere). How can I make my bedroom into a place of romance that my partner will never want to leave?"
Let's Get Some Romance Up in Here
April Masini's Advice :
Dear Let's Get Some Romance Up in Here,
I've personally spent time decorating the homes of some of the richest and most famous people in the world, I've come to one unfortunate conclusion: One of the most important rooms in the house is often the most neglected -- the bedroom. More often than not, I see them piled with storage, full of laundry, and stacked with papers. You get the picture -- and it's not a romantic one.
The bedroom should, however, actually be the one place where you can seek refuge from the world outside. It should be the one place where you can relax without everyday distractions. After all, how can you really get to the task at hand (i.e.,"enjoying" yourself with your partner) with a stack of unpaid bills, or a pile of dirty socks vying for your attention? The answer - you can't.
So we agree, the bedroom should be a place for relaxation and romance. But how can you turn your current bedroom into a full-fledged boudoir? A good place to start is by considering -- and appealing to -- your senses.
Romantic Room Tip #1: What You See Is What You Get
- Pick a color palette and stick to it. While certain colors (like red) may be good choices to get the romance flowing, other options, including blue, have their own beneficial affects, like calmness and comfort. Overall, pick a color you love, and one that makes you feel your sexiest.
- Feng Shui has a tip in this area that makes good, practical sense: Keep each side of your bed (his/hers) even. In other words, if you have a table and lamp on your side, make sure there's one on "her" or "his", too, even if there currently is no her or him. The idea being that it should appear as though you are ready for there to be a partner that you have a space for him, both literally and figuratively.
Romantic Room Tip #2: The Sounds Of Seduction
- Music is a definite sexy mood maker, but it shouldn't sound like you're sitting front row at your favorite concert. Play music just loud enough to hear, but not so loud that you can't listen to sweet nothings your love's whispering in your ear.
- Pick music that's appropriate for the setting the mood. Jazz is always a safe bet as it can travel the distance of emotions - from mellow to hot and soulful - in a single song.
Romantic Room Tip #3: The Alluring Aroma Of Amour
- Let's face it, women love candles (who doesn't look their best by the flame's flicker?), and we usually go ga-ga for ones that are scented even more. But much like color, certain scents create strong reactions. In the bedroom, it's best to stick to aromas, like musk and vanilla.
- Keep dirty laundry in a closet, or better yet, in a separate room all together to avoid any unwelcome odors.
Romantic Room Tip #4: Food For Thought (and then some)
- It may seem strange to think of food in the bedroom, but having a little nosh is a good idea. What to pack for the picnic? Try a plate of fruits, ready for the eating (peeled, cut, etc.), and a bottle of champagne for when things really heat up.
- Also, keep a pack of mints at the ready - just in case.
Romantic Room Tip #5: Feeling Good All Over
- Make your bed a place that your partner never wants to leave by using the perfect down pillows and softest sheets. Even though good sheets are a bit more expensive, it's worth it to make them fit in your budget. Look for high thread counts, or soft fabrics, like jersey. Don't underestimate the power of touch.
- Keep soft pillows on the bed, and scattered around the room. You never know when things might move to the floor; so be prepared to take it there.
Romantic Room Tip #6: Think Before You Act
- Take down that picture of your ex! No matter how sexy you look by the flame of the candle, you can't compete with the mood-killing power of your old flame. Get rid of it, pronto.